Roofing is one of those things that everyone knows about, but few people do. If you don’t know much about roofing, then this blog post will be an eye-opener for you. We’ll go over 10 different ways to keep your home roof in pristine condition and prevent leaks from occurring at all!
- Keep an eye out for any cracks in your roof, and don’t hesitate to contact a professional if you think that something is wrong. The sooner you get it checked out, the less likely it will be that major problems crop up down the line.
- Get rid of any dead animals on our roof – they can cause major damage!
- Keep your roof clean and dry. Dirt, leaves, moss, and other debris will collect in the gutters over time and block water from draining properly. Once you remove it all with a gutter cleaner or by hand (don’t forget to wear gloves!), the rainwater should flow freely again.
- Perform roof maintenance every year if your roof is older than five years old.
- Don’t forget to inspect your roof in the winter. Snow can collect on your roof and cause leaks when it melts, so always check for any signs of damage or wear and tear after a big snowstorm has come through.
- Do not plant trees too close to the edge of your roof – they may grow up over time!
- Trim tree branches that are causing a shade on your roof. If you don’t have any sun hitting your roof, the roof will remain moist and that’s when you see moss starting to grow. Moss can’t grow without a lot of moisture.
- If you see moss on your roof, hire a professional to clean your roof. The moss eats away at your roof granules which causes the roof to age faster than normal.
- Check for loose or broken shingles with a visual inspection – you’ll likely be able to spot this by looking on top of your roof.
- If you have access to an attic or crawlspace, grab a flashlight and climb up. Inspect the attic once a year to make sure there aren’t any new leaks. This way you will catch a leak early and be able to fix it before it gets too bad. Pro-tip: take a photo of any spots to find and keep checking after every rainy day to see if it is getting bigger.
Roof maintenance is one of the biggest things overlooked in the roofing industry. Your roof will only last long if you make sure to take care of it just like the other parts of your home.
If you need a professional roofer to help you with the maintenance, we are here to help discuss what is best for your roof.